LIV Golf is a new professional golf tour that launched in 2022. It is backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund and offers players significantly higher prize money than the PGA Tour.
Louis Oosthuizen is a South African professional golfer who joined LIV Golf in June 2022. He is one of the most successful golfers in the world, having won the 2010 Open Championship and the 2021 US Open.
Oosthuizen has not officially revealed how much money LIV Golf paid him to join the tour. However, it is estimated that he received a signing bonus of around $100 million. He is also eligible to earn prize money and team earnings from LIV Golf events.
How much did LIV Golf pay Louis Oosthuizen?
Official signing bonus
As mentioned above, Oosthuizen is estimated to have received a signing bonus of around $100 million from LIV Golf. This is one of the largest signing bonuses ever paid to a golfer.
Prize money earnings
Oosthuizen has earned $3,376,667 in prize money from LIV Golf events in 2023. He is currently ranked 9th on the LIV Golf prize money leaderboard.
Oosthuizen is a member of the Stinger GC team in LIV Golf. The team has earned $1,200,000 in prize money in 2023. Oosthuizen’s share of this team prize money is estimated to be around $300,000.
Oosthuizen’s total earnings from LIV Golf in 2023 are estimated to be around $13,776,667. This includes his signing bonus, prize money earnings, and team earnings.
Other benefits of joining LIV Golf
In addition to the financial benefits, there are a number of other reasons why golfers choose to join LIV Golf. These include:
- Reduced schedule: LIV Golf events are shorter and less frequent than PGA Tour events. This gives players more time to rest and recover.
- More lucrative contracts: LIV Golf players are typically able to negotiate more lucrative contracts with sponsors and other partners.
- Greater control over their careers: LIV Golf players have more control over their schedules and how they manage their careers.
Controversy surrounding LIV Golf
LIV Golf has been controversial since its inception. Some of the main criticisms of the tour include:
- Saudi Arabia’s involvement: Saudi Arabia is a country with a poor human rights record. Many people believe that it is wrong to support a tour that is backed by Saudi Arabia.
- LIV Golf’s impact on the PGA Tour: LIV Golf is seen as a threat to the PGA Tour, which is the world’s leading professional golf tour. Some critics believe that LIV Golf is trying to poach the PGA Tour’s best players and weaken the tour.
- Ethical concerns: Some people believe that it is unethical for golfers to join LIV Golf, given Saudi Arabia’s human rights record.
Louis Oosthuizen is one of the highest-paid golfers in the world. He has earned millions of dollars from his signing bonus, prize money earnings, and team earnings from LIV Golf.