Dustin Poirier is one of the most popular and successful mixed martial artists in the world. He is a former UFC Lightweight Champion and has fought some of the biggest names in the sport, including Conor McGregor, Khabib Nurmagomedov, and Justin Gaethje.
Despite his success, Poirier has also suffered some losses in his career. In this article, we will take a look at who Poirier has lost to and what he can learn from his losses.
Poirier’s overall record
Poirier has a professional MMA record of 29-8-0 (1 NC). He has won 21 of his fights by knockout, 5 by submission, and 3 by decision. He has lost 6 fights by decision and 2 by submission.
Poirier’s losses in detail
Here is a more detailed look at Poirier’s losses:
- Danny Castillo (unanimous decision): Poirier lost his professional MMA debut to Danny Castillo in 2010. He was 20 years old at the time and Castillo was a more experienced fighter.
- Justin Gaethje (TKO): Poirier lost to Justin Gaethje in 2018 in a fight for the interim UFC Lightweight Championship. He was knocked out in the fourth round.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov (submission): Poirier lost to Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2019 in a fight for the undisputed UFC Lightweight Championship. He was submitted in the third round.
- Charles Oliveira (submission): Poirier lost to Charles Oliveira in 2021 in a fight for the UFC Lightweight Championship. He was submitted in the third round.
Why did Poirier lose these fights?
There are a few reasons why Poirier lost these fights.
- Castillo: Poirier was simply less experienced than Castillo in their fight. He also made some mistakes, such as getting caught in a guillotine choke.
- Gaethje: Gaethje is a very aggressive fighter with a lot of power. Poirier was able to defend himself for a while, but Gaethje eventually caught him with a big punch.
- Nurmagomedov: Nurmagomedov is arguably the greatest MMA fighter of all time. He is known for his grappling skills and his ability to pressure his opponents. Poirier was able to defend himself for a while, but Nurmagomedov eventually submitted him.
- Oliveira: Oliveira is a very dangerous submission artist. He has more submission wins than any other fighter in UFC history. Poirier was able to defend himself for a while, but Oliveira eventually submitted him with a rear-naked choke.
What can Poirier learn from his losses?
Poirier can learn a lot from his losses. He can learn to be more patient, to avoid making mistakes, and to deal with pressure better. He can also learn from his opponents’ strengths and weaknesses.
Dustin Poirier is a great fighter who has learned a lot from his losses. He is still in the prime of his career and he has a lot of potential. He is sure to come back strong from his losses and continue to fight for championships.